Sunday, December 7, 2008

An unmerited gift

Also, I forgot to mention that there is a woman named Christina who has been helping us with the church. She is teaching the young kids Bible lessons. She has 4 children from 4 different men and really wants to walk with the Lord. Her house is the worst we have ever seen. The walls are caving in, the roof is tarps, the floor is dirt and 5 people sleep in a bunk bed. She is a single mom trying to do it all alone and cannot work because she has a 2 year old and a 6 year old. We don't know how she survives. The mission team from First Baptist McComb has generously offered to pay for her house to be fixed (new walls, floor, roof, house extended) and John and Victor are going to have to do all of the work, of course. They are also going to buy her a new bed and a give her money for groceries. When I told Christina this good news today she kept saying, "but why? I don't deserve this. I am not a good person! But why? Why me?" And all I could tell her was that this is a gift from God, just like Jesus. I reminded her of God's love for us and how he sent Jesus to die for us "while we were yet" sinners and how we don't deserve anything, but yet God keeps giving and pouring out his love to us - TOTALLY undeserved. I was so humbled to remember this truth in my own life and to see it poured out in another way through this unmerited gift of a fixed up house.

No comments:

  ©Blog Design by Amy Bayliss.

Return to top