Thursday, December 6, 2007

A day (or two).....

Yesterday was a busy day! The kids had their first ever "school" production. Ally, Jaxson and Avery sang a few Christmas songs in Spanish and they were ADORABLE!

The early afternoon was followed by a special Christmas party at school to honor all of the empleadas (maids) that work for the students. It was such a special time of food, food, and, did I mention food! Someone made these DELICIOUS peanut butter balls and they were gone very quickly.:) My friend Jenny (this is a shout-out to Jenny, the best Spanish speaker I know - and now cook) made this delicious cherry pie. Was that cherry? It was good, whatever it was.

We played a cracker came and I had to get the cracker from my head to my nose to my mouth without using my hands. Then I had to chew the cracker and whistle before anyone else did. "I" think "I" won, but the judge was sooooo busy focusing on another girl that she missed my grand victory. But nonetheless, we have a picture. To see who won, we had a run-off game and we had to act out our favorite animal. I wasn't embarrassed by this or anything! :) I pretended to be a rooster "kee-keely-kee." That's what a rooster says in Costa-Rica in case you missed my previous blog.

Then.....the dreaded migraine started. I came home and slept for hours. I woke up to find out terrible news about my mom and her husband. Please pray for them. They are in a bad situation and need legal help, a job and money. It's distressing and there is nothing I can do except pray. The stress of it all, I think, caused me to wake up with yet another migraine this morning. But I really tried to work through it and just smile and ignore it. But not without migraine medicine, of course.

And then today John had his Oral Proficiency test. I was supposed to have mine today, but we switched places and I had mine on Monday. I did just MEDIOCRE. I promise! I'm glad we switched because I would NOT have been able to do it with the migraine medicine and headaches. I honestly cannot talk well in Spanish after I take the medicine. Anyway, my point is that John's teacher found out that he was having his OPI today and she decided, right there in class, to give him a mock test in front of 3 other students. How challenging for John. She is use to giving these kind of oral evaluations, so she knew exactly what to do. Well, he did his very best and at the end she said she believed he was at an advanced low level reaching to an advanced medium! What? What? That's crazy. That is the level we have to be at at the END of the year. Not now! I am so happy for him, but then my flesh gets involved and I am crazy jealous and irritated all at the same time.

He then went to his OPI this afternoon and he did well, but he didn't really speak in past tense much because most of the conversation was in present tense. He came home a little bummed that he covered everything except what he really needed to cover. Oh well, his OPI isn't really important right now, mainly at the end of the year. I will let you know our results when we receive them. We only have 6 more days of school left. Since grades have to be turned in by Monday, most of next week will be goofing off and reviewing. YIPPEEE!!!

On another note, Parker said today that he wasn't sure why the kids in school claimed to be Christians but then don't act like it in many different ways. We had a very long talk, which I won't get into on my blog, but I was very proud of him for realizing that being a Christian is much more than just what a person says they believe! :) Love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, gentleness, faithfulness and self-control! We also talked about not conforming to the world’s patterns. It was a great conversation and I’m thankful that he is really trying to pursue the Lord and be set apart.

Also, he is reading the Boxcar Kids?? Does anyone know anything about these books. I would like to check them out and make sure they are appropriate, but obviously I don't have time to read a 150 page children's book right now. Please let me know if you know anything about these books.

Well, the "verbos" are calling my name. Gotta study. Just can’t wait!

Ally is in the back, middle!

Avery in her first Christmas sing!

Jaxson and his Christmas smile!

The cracker game!

My ENTIRE grammar class!

6 comments:

Texas Aggie in Florida said...

When I taught school, I had a lot of kids into the Boxcar books. I thought they were totally fine and innocent. But then again, what do I know. I'm all in favor of public schools and santa claus!

Ansbaughmom said...

I was going to say the same thing as your aggie friend. When I taught 3rd grade they were a fave. I never read them but I dont think they are bad-kitty might know.

Jonatha said...

I have read aloud the first boxcar children and it was wonderful. I haven't read the others, but Shayla loves them and she is very picky about books being appropriate (very cool for me!). Your party looked like fun - and the kids were adorable! I'm sorry about the migraine, and I will pray for your mom.

circus of love said...

When I taught second grade at The First Academy at First Baptist/ Orlando...I had the Boxcar books in my reading nook. The other teachers were all in approval. I haven't read any of them though I was just following the more experienced teachers point of view. I still have them but haven't put them out on the bookshelf yet. Like you I haven't had time to read them yet.

MichelleD said...

I read the Boxcar books as a child. They are about a family of orphans that live in a train Boxcar. I don't remember much, but my mom was pretty strict about what I read, so I think they are quite wholesome.

I enjoy reading about your family and praying for you all.
Love you!
Twinkling for Jesus,
Michelle

Amy jo said...

What great pictures. You're family is so precious! Thank you for sharing these with us. I am so proud and grateful for you all:-)
Love,
Amy Jo

PS
Thanks also for the great recipes. Can't wait to try them out!

  ©Blog Design by Amy Bayliss.

Return to top