Monday, December 10, 2007

Our OPI Results

Hold on to your seats...the news you've been waiting for. We received the results on where we rank with our ability to speak Spanish. Before I tell you our news, here is what each ranking means:

Novice - a person who can speaks words only, mimic what they hear and have a few "catch" phrases memorized.

Intermediate - a person who can speak in present tense and in full sentences. They can also speak in past tense and are able to be understood when they are speaking.

Advanced - a person that can speak in full paragraphs and they are very "fluid" when the speak. This person can do all tenses very well and has an excellent command of the language.

Superior - a person that is a SUPERIOR speaker like a seminary professor or writer. We probably wouldn't even be considered "Superior" English speakers.

Each level has low, medium and high.

I tested at an intermediate low. I am not surprised because I felt like I did "mediocre" in my conversation with her. I am in no way making excuses, but that definitely wasn't one of my better conversations. I was soooo nervous I could've cried. I am just happy not to be a novice anymore. Can you believe that when I arrived here in July all I could say was "Hola" and "Gracias" and now I am making sentences and am learning to speak in the past tense? I can actually TALK! It's amazing to see how far God has brought us. And I know my next score will be even better because I won't be so nervous because I will know what to expect. I think there will be a big jump in my next evaluation. We have to test out at advanced low to leave here so there better be a big ol' jump!

John scored an intermediate medium "strong." Meaning he is almost intermediate advanced. He is very disappointed and feels like he would've done better if he would've spoken more in the past tense like he does so often. Anyway, I think his teacher should've NEVER told him she thought he was an advanced low because that kind of set the bar too high for him. Please pray for John if you remember. He is feeling very discouraged today and he feels like his massive amount of hard work is not paying off.

It really is and he is doing amazing. But he really needs some encouragement. He is usually my rock, but tonight I am his. :)

I was reminded today that language learning is HARD and that we have to rely so much on God and not on our own efforts. 1 tri down and only 2 more tri's to go.

5 comments:

Texas Aggie in Florida said...

That's really awesome!

As a school teacher, I can tell you it takes some kids YEARS to come that far from Spanish to English.

I'm SO jealous! I want to speak Spanish!!!

Michael and Kristi Rains said...

From experience: Language learning is a lifetime endeavor. There's always more to learn. Language evaluations are subjective. Our final IMB evaluation scores were different from the ILE evals: different evaluator, different conversation, different score. Don't stress. The most important thing is how you communicate daily with the people you encounter. Some days you'll feel confident in your language ability and other days you'll want to scream in frustration. That will continue in Peru, too. I think it's one way God keeps us humble. K

Mountain Momma said...

Hey guys! Keep your chin up...don't look at the words or phrases you don't know..Look at how far you have come in just a few weeks. It takes a child about 5 years to really be able to speak and understand his own language and your learning a whole new language in a just few weeks. You guys are really doing great and I admire you!! Stop looking and dwelling on your shortcomings. Wake up each morning and do the best you can and at the end of the day no matter how bad or good you did... smile and just know you did your best. Have fun with it and enjoy yourselves.

Stephen Jones said...

Keep up the great work. You guys are doing fantastic! It probably seems like you've been memorizing charts and vocab forever, but it really has been a short time.

Press on, and remember the goal. That next word you learn could make the difference in bringing a Peruvian to a saving knowledge of Jesus Christ. We love you guys!

Justgottalaugh said...

You guys serve and awesome God who is doing awesome things through you!

  ©Blog Design by Amy Bayliss.

Return to top