Friday, December 14, 2007

End of the trimester ramblings

Jessica wrote:

We finished our first trimester here in language school and it has been quite the roller coaster; lots of ups and downs throughout the past three months. Just yesterday, our grammar class went to a local restaurant for breakfast and a girl asked if we ever would've imagined 10 years ago that we would be where we are today. My first response was "yes" but as I thought about it further my answer has changed to a resounding NO. It is incomprehensible to me at times to think about how much our lives have changed in less than a year. This time last year we were Christmas shopping at Target and Kohl's (oh how much I miss Target), speaking and hearing English all around us, attending church functions, homeschooling our kids, John was being offered the key's to the city, we were leading a life group at church and we were living in a big comfy house in suburban America, driving our nice mini-van while talking on the cell phone. Just imagine the opposite of all of those things and that is a perfect reflection of our lives now; a perfect reflection of God's goodness and grace. It is only by God's strength that we have made it through all of these changes.

We go to sleep each night knowing that God has made us for this purpose and he is our language provider and our sustainer. Sure, there are long and hard days, but then there are days that we feel so happy and excited that we could explode. In fact, I had a day like that this week. Last week it seemed as if nothing was going right for me. I was really down and questioning the Lord quite a bit. But then this week, things turned completely around and God worked out several situations in my favor - situations that seemed impossible. But there God was reminding me that NOTHING is impossible for Him.

So, I must remember those truths as I seek to learn Spanish. It is so humbling to be dumb! It is so humbling to have every other word that comes out of my mouth be incorrect. I want to scream "I REALLY AM SMART." But I can't because I probably would get that wrong, too. In fact, I did tell my neighbor that in English I am intelligent and I butchered the sentence while I was telling her. This morning, though, God reminded me that this lack of language is just one more way in which I can stay dependent on Him. His strength is made perfect in my weakness. What a precious reminder that I am truly weak without Him and that He is right there, ready to fill in the gaps.

We rejoice that we made it through this trimester and we are anticipating an amazing 3 weeks of rest and relaxation.

1 comment:

amy jo said...

All smiles to read this post. I am so glad that you guys have a long 3 weeks of rest. Enjoy! Talk to you soon:-)
AJB

  ©Blog Design by Amy Bayliss.

Return to top