Tuesday, June 2, 2009

Sunday's Race Report


Sunday, I woke up bright and early, 5:45 a.m., to head out for the marathon festivities. I arrived to see between 6-7,000 people getting ready to run. The marathon and half-marathon started at 7 a.m. The start was filled with loud music, in English, and tons of balloons and cheering people. I seriously got teary-eyed watching the start of the marathon. I know how much training and effort goes into running one and it is such a humbling experience to beat your body that way. I was so proud of all of the runners and couldn't help but get choked up knowing that their "big" moment was about to start and all of their effort would finally pay-off.

The 10K started 30 minutes later and was filled with as many people as the half and full-marathon combined. Once again, lots of loud American music, balloons and cheering. Imagine a sea of people in yellow Addidas shirts. Very cool!

The race was a nice course, with bands every mile or say (playing English music), but didn't have a drink station until almost mile 2.5. Although the weather was cool, it was very, very humid (90%) and this made me extremely hot. I felt pretty terrible from mile 2-3, but after a drink and a little walk break, I felt much better. I wasn't able to walk as much as I had hoped because I would've been in the way of other runners. I didn't walk the first mile or the last 2 miles. And when I did walk, it was every five minutes for 1 mile.

Around mile 3.5 I heard some chanting and wasn't sure what it was. I turned around to see at least 1,000 military men/woman jogging in formation. They were slowly catching up to me and I was so sure I would get trampled by them, but I couldn't run any faster to get out of the way. Well, for the last 2 miles, I ended up in the midst of them - ENJOYING EVERY SINGLE MINUTE of it. They were so organized and in perfect formation. They ran as a team and everyone ran the same pace. Now that must be difficult! They had a very good clip going on and were chanting the entire time. Once again, I teared up just praising God for such wonderful motivation, the opportunity to be amongst people serving their country, and because of the awe I had for their dedication and teamwork. They are only as strong as their weakest leak. I appreciated running next to them and it was definitely one of my ALL time favorite race experiences.

I finished up the 6.2 miles in 1:08:03 which is an average pace of 10:58 per mile, 21 minutes slower than my personal best that was set a little over 2 years ago. But this race experience ranks up in my top 5 of ALL-TIME! For me, having a great time and enjoying the race has become so much more important than the time I can finish it in (for now). The entire event was pretty much perfect and such a blessing from our Lord. And to think that a year and a half ago, I couldn't run at all!

Next up, a 7.5K on June 21. :)

2 comments:

Stephen Jones said...

Sounds like a really fun experience. I'd really like to get running again, but things are just so busy all the time, I don't know how it's going to happen. :(

Wow, it is hard to believe you couldn't even run a year and a half ago. Praise the Lord for the amazing healing He brought!

Natalie Jones said...

I'm so glad you had such a wonderful day! God had truly blessed you with good health, a fun race, and now, an encouraging and supportive doctor. :) Praise the Lord!

Have a fun time with your friend this weekend!

  ©Blog Design by Amy Bayliss.

Return to top