Sunday, March 30, 2008

A letter from daddy....

We received this letter from daddy yesterday. He is coming home tonight around 5 or 6 p.m. Today is his birthday so it's a bummer he has to be alone on a bus all day.

Anyway, thought you might enjoy his observations. Some exerts:

"Hope all is going well. How did you sleep. It took me forever to fall asleep. But I got up, hung around the room and watched an 80`s movie with John Cusack. Pretty old school, but it passed the time. I am bored out of my mind. I wish you were here with me. I just had some lunch. Food is so cheap here. I can get a full combo meal for $3 or less. So yesterday, I spent $1.75 on lunch and only $2.75 for dinner. I just splurged and spent $3.35 for lunch.

There are some really funny observations that I have made here. Taxis are yellow here, not red. Even though it is 20 degrees hotter here than San Jose, people still wear pants. I passed a really big beauty salon called "Illusions." Pretty appropriate. The funniest thing is that even though there is a person already riding in a taxi, the driver will stop and pick up other passengers. So you can be sitting in a taxi by yourself, and the driver will pull over and pick up a stranger to sit next to you. I don´t know if the taxis have two meters, but I have no idea how they work out the fare. I was sitting outside eating just now and within 10 minutes, I saw this happen twice. The first time, there was a lady already in the taxi, and two other ladies haled the cab down, and the two ladies squeezed in the back seat with the lady already in the taxi. I felt so bad for that lady. They practically squeezed her out of the other window.

So those are just a couple of things different here than C.R. Oh yeah, they called pieces of fried chicken¨"presas" instead of "piezas" like in C.R. At least that is important in my world.

I found this internet cafe that only charges 75 cents for an hour, instead of a dollar for 45 minutes at the hotel. There´s like 36 computer stations here.

I am going to find the bus stop that will take me back to the border after this. But I´m not looking forward to getting out there in the heat. Because, yes, I am wearing jeans to blend in. On that note. It is amazing what putting me in another country does for my language confidence. It kills it. I totally have not wanted to talk to anybody. I am not as confident in my spanish when I get pulled out of my comfortable little community of teachers and language partners."

No comments:

  ©Blog Design by Amy Bayliss.

Return to top