Tuesday, March 4, 2008

Restoration Houses

Last week we had the privilege of preaching (John) and teaching a Bible study (Jessica) at the restoration houses (half-way house) for drug addicts and alcoholics that are trying to recover; some recover and some do not. The turn over is very high there and many people end up back on the streets. Last week I was feeling discouraged and wasn't thrilled about teaching the Bible study. I was experiencing spiritual war-fare with my attitude (it gets very difficult to talk with people who have little or no teeth, mumble and are incomprehensible to listen too) and also with physical pain in my kidney. My friend, Rita, prayed for me and I realized I was experiencing warfare. I prayed too and then went on to lead an AMAZING bible study. There were 12 women in all and God really spoke to them. He even gave me words I didn't know I had and He allowed me to share my testimony to the group as well. We are studying the book of James and I am teaching verse by verse (yes, in Spanish). The women even asked if they could have a copy of my study. When we got in the car my friend Rita (a national), who is not quick to give comments said, "Su espanol es muy buena, su estudio Biblico fue muy buena!" Boy, I was riding high after that. I knew it was TOTALLY the Lord and I am so glad I didn't succumb to the bad attitude that had plagued me when I first got there. And the kidney pain did go away right before the study started.

Also, John's sermon on Monday went very well. He said he was super comfortable and the guys participated and helped him when he was struggling with words. He preached on faith and obedience from James and Hebrews. Instead of relying on his notes, he just spoke from his mind and he left feeling very encouraged that the Lord's word was conveyed in a manner that was understood and can impact their lives. When he went back to visit the guys last Thursday one asked for copies of his sermon! As struggling Spanish students, these compliments are really great boosters in our confidence and reminders that God is so able and willing to use those who are simply available.

Please continue to pray for the people in these homes. The situations are oftentimes very heartbreaking and we just ask for the Lord to break these strongholds and that we would be vessels of His word.

1 comment:

ryanshelly said...

I don't know what the availability of books are down there, but there were three books I read while in seminary that greatly influenced my approach to and concept of preaching. John might find these works helpful (and he'll probably have to read them at seminary anyhow): Feed My Sheep: A Passionate Plea for Preaching, Don Kistler, General Ed.; Preachers and Preaching, D. Martin Lloyd-Jones; Christ Centered Preaching, Bryan Chapell. Enjoy

  ©Blog Design by Amy Bayliss.

Return to top