Monday, March 17, 2008

You Know You're a Floridian If...

As a native Floridian, I totally GET this e-mail my friend sent me. If you are a native or just live in Florida, let me know if you agree or anything that might be missing from this list. I thought it was RIGHT on and funny!

You know you're a Floridian if:

Socks are only for bowling.

..You never use an umbrella because you know the rain will be over in five minutes.

..A good parking place has nothing to do with distance from the store, but everything to do with shade.

..Your winter coat is made of denim.

..You can tell the difference between fire ant bites and mosquito bites.

..You're younger than thirty but some of your friends are over 65.

..Anything under 70 is chilly.

..You've driven through Yeehaw Junction.

..You could swim before you could read.

..You have to drive north to get to The South.

..You know that no other grocery store can compare to Publix.

..Every other house in your neighborhood had blue roofs in 2004-2005.

..You've gotten out of school early on Halloween to trick or treat before it got dark

..You know that anything under a Category 3 jus t isn't worth waking up for.

..You dread love bug season.

..You are on a first name basis with the hurricane list. They are Hurricanes Charley.. Frances ... Ivan ..Jeanne.

..You know what a snowbird is and when they'll leave.

..You think a six-foot alligator is actually pretty average.

..You were twelve before you ever saw snow, or you still haven't.

..'Down South' means Key West

..You think New York drivers licenses should only be valid in New York .

..Flip-flops are everyday wear

..Shoes are for business meetings and church,& nbsp;

..but you HAVE worn flip flops to church before.

..Sweet tea can be served at any meal.

..An alligator once walked through your neighborhood, or they caught a 10'ft. boa in your neighborhood.

..You smirk when a game show's 'Grand Prize' is a trip or cruise to Florida

..You measure distance in minutes.

..You have a drawer full of bathing suits, and one sweatshirt.

..You get annoyed at the tourists who feed seagulls.

..A mountain is any hill 100 feet above sea level.

..You think everyone from a bigger city has a northern accent.

..You know the four seasons really are: hurricane season, love bug
season, tourist season and summer

..It's not soda, cola, or pop. it's cok e, regardless of brand or flavor, 'What kinda coke you want?'

..Anything under 95 is just warm.

..You've hosted a hurricane party.

..You go to a theme park for an afternoon, and know when to get on the best rides. ( Space Mountain during the Electric Light Parade!)

..You understand the futility of exterminating cockroaches.

..You can pronounce Okeechobee, Kissimmee , Ichnatucknee, Withlacoochee and Micanopy

..You understand why it' s better to have a friend with a boat, than have a boat yourself.

..Bumper stickers on the pickup in front of you include: various fish, NRA, NASCAR, Go Gators, and a confederate flag.

..You were 5 before you realized they made houses without pools.

..You were 25 when you first met someone who couldn't swim.

..You've worn shorts and used the A/C on Christmas.

..You recognize Miami-Dade as ' Northern Cuba

..You not only forward this but you understand it!!

9 comments:

The Sage Family said...

You know you're a Floridian when reading these things make you smile rather than cringe.

Jonatha said...

I received this email recently and laughed so much! Most of the things are so true - and I now realize how true after living somewhere else :)

Amy said...

I know I am a native:-) I thought these were so very clever and so very true....
Love,
AJB

Justgottalaugh said...

Yup! I hit every one of these. I didn't even think they were funny- just true. That's how it is. Sure makes me miss FL!!!!!

Ansbaughmom said...

I totally agree!! Florida is just a different place!

ptamom3 said...

Totally true- I remember when St Cloud was a "quiet" little town and you could walk places and know everyone in every store you went into, that was many many years ago. I miss that part of it!!

trent and kay said...

I totally forgot that we used to get out of school early to trick-or-treat. Why? And why do I measure distance in minutes? I do that but I didn't know it was because I'm from Florida. And even though I haven't lived in Florida for a long time, I still have an obsession with bathing suits. So funny.

kathryn evans said...

Yep...the second day of spring and the kids were in the neighbor's kiddie pool today. But what's sad is we live an hour from the beach and haven't been there in probaby 2 years.

theupsideof40 said...

They forgot Econlockhatchee and Wekiwa! :)

The sweet tea one hit home. That's one thing I really miss...and cherish, every time I go back "home". Noone out here in Denver knows how to make sweet tea. If you ask for sweet tea, they just squirt flavored syrup into your tea...yuck!!

One of my other favorite things from Florida, is the hot boiled peanuts that they sell in streetside stands on the way to the beach. (a close second to this, are the artichoke stands south of Gilroy in CA). A friend here (who's originally from Eustis), told me that they sell the peanuts in cans now...but I can't imagine they are anywhere near as good. You know, you've just got to have the sweat of some greasy guy's hands in the mixture, as he dunks a bucket into the vat, to pull out a bags worth. LOL

So, see, you're not the only one missing out on things from Florida. Feel better now? :)

I will say though, that you are the lucky ones living in Costa Rica. Still to this day, I can remember how fantastic the beef was down there. Something about the natural way they raise their cattle (not with the hormones and junk we feed our cattle here in the USA).

  ©Blog Design by Amy Bayliss.

Return to top