Friday, September 5, 2008

Getting Settled feels good

John went out to our place of ministry yesterday, the South Cone area, and scoped it out for several hours with another missionary. He is praying and seeking the Lord for a plan to reach these people. It is still difficult to truly "start" as we have another year of language aquisition that we have to complete and no car as of now. But John is eager to get THE WORD out there.

Please pray dilligently that our van would be released from Customs. We were told that it has been there for awhile for no apparent reason and one day they will just decide to release it or they will wait for a bribe. This vehicle is essential to our ministry. Please pray it is released soon. We trust it will be released on God's perfect day.

I'm starting a private tuturing class on Monday at a school right down the street. I will take pictures. The place is adorable and literally 2 blocks away on MY street. The money for the tutor will be coming out of our pocket, but I have GOT to keep speaking and learning. I took a grammar test today (6 pages) because I don't think the women truly believed I knew Spanish and she wanted to assess where I am at. After the hour long, unexpected test, she said I fell into the advanced category. I better fall into advanced after 1 solid year in language school and having studied everything Spanish under the sun. I still had PLENTY of errors on the test and definitely I need to work on my "tu" mandatos among other things. We didn't speak the tu form in Costa Rica so I really shouldn't know this and also my prepositional verbs. BUT these are essential for speaking here in Peru. We didn't specifically study prepositional verbs so it makes sense I don't know them either. And I would like for the tutor to help me with Peruvian "slang" and the vocabulary of all the things that are different here. I am SUPER EXCITED to have a tutor/language companion. For now, I am only going to do it for 4 weeks, because it is expensive, and then we'll see if it is still needed afterwards. The school is going to give me a price for setting up a tutoring class for 3 of my children. The original price was $30 an hour for all 3 of them. NO WAY! Can't do that, but maybe they can come up with something better.

Oh yeh, almost forget. We have a PHONE NOW and internet. We are really getting settled. Who thought we'd be so "together" in only 3 weeks? And, I found a place to get the kids registered for soccer or other activities.

Found out our crate from the states will be sent, Lord willing, on Tuesday. It was delayed last week due to weather. It should take 7 days via boat to get here and then it is the customs waiting game again! That could be fast or slow. Let's pray for quickly.

Also, Parker's b-day is Sunday, Sept. 14th. He has ZERO friends here and is bummed to be celebrating without his good buddies. However, he is happy to have us. If you could please take a few minutes to e-mail him a little letter or card, I know it would REALLY make him smile. Thanks, your the best.

No comments:

  ©Blog Design by Amy Bayliss.

Return to top