Wednesday, August 22, 2007

Help is on the way

Life here, although it is spectacular so far, is a lot of work. I have heard other missionaries say that it just takes longer to do everything and I was sure that would not be the case for us. Alas, it is true. I find myself constantly cooking, grocery shopping, cleaning, laundry, etc... I don't remember working so hard in Florida. Of course, I was also home full-time.

Yesterday help arrived. Our "empleada" started. Empleada means helper. Let me tell you all that this woman did in one day. And don't forget, she also had the daunting task of trying to communicate with me through my Spanglish. Thank God for dictionaries. I did, by the way, learn A LOT yesterday and had huge breakthroughs in my speaking. I can understand more than I can say which is frustrating. But just yesterday I conquered the words, to clean, to buy, dirty, trash, refrigerator and floor. :) It really helped to build my confidence.

I digress. The house helper went shopping, did the laundry, made dinner, cleaned the kitchen up like 4 times, cleaned the microwave, made the beds, etc.... I was working out at one point (upper-body, of course) and it was almost miraculous to see my house get so clean while I was exercising. I was beeboppin' all day long. We even had friends over for dinner last night to enjoy the scrumptious chicken and potatoes she made. Glorious!!!

I will post a picture of our empleada, Etel. She is very kind and has the sweetest spirit. She is a hard, hard working woman and a Christian. That was very important to us since she will be watching our kids sometimes. :) One of Etel's children is getting ready to head off to be a missionary in Africa. We just love her and she is a great addition to our family. I will post a picture of her later today. She is going to be here M,W,F from 7-3 each day.

I must scoot because she'll be here soon. Praise God, "Help is on the way."

No comments:

  ©Blog Design by Amy Bayliss.

Return to top