Thursday, August 23, 2007

Knee Update

I went to the rheumatologist yesterday who said my knee was "disorganized." He looked at it through an ultrasound and proceeded to show me how different it looks from my normal knee. After reviewing my previous MRIand all of my medical records, he sent me on the same day to the orthopaedic surgeon on his floor. The surgeon has scheduled surgery for next Thursday. He will cut the lateral part of my knee about 3 inches and then inside my leg he will partially cut my Illiotibial Band (the band the runs from the hip to the knee) to release it. This surgery may or may not help the problem, but it will allow the doctor to also see the extent of the damage in my knee. He said that it is possible I tore my IT band which takes YEARS to heal or sometimes it never heals. He also thought I might have torn a ligament based on where some of the pain is, but he will know exactly what is going on once he is in there. I asked about Arthroscopic surgery which is much less invasive, but he said that he needs to fully see the entire area and he cannot do that with a scope. UGH!!! There is an 80% chance of success in pain reduction, but it is my best option since for 9 months conservative efforts have failed to bring me to a normal functioning/pain level.

The rheumatologist told me I might not ever run again and if I do it will be very limited. Of course, I cried my eyes out upon this news, but am accepting it more and more. The Orthopaedic surgeon said I should remove running from my mind - at least for now. The goal now needs to be able to sit and walk with much less pain. He did tell me that the good news is that I am not in danger. This leg injury is not "dangerous" to my overall life. I had to smile at this reminder, because it is VERY true.

As for school, I will only miss 2 days of orientation. I will be on crutches for a week and will have to take a taxi to and from school, but I should be okay to sit with my leg up and listen and learn. It is only for 4 hours a day. I will then need to be in physical therapy for about 4-6 weeks.

Anyway, I am very, very nervous. Please pray for the details to work out. God is reminding me daily that I am in His hands.

No comments:

  ©Blog Design by Amy Bayliss.

Return to top