Monday, August 27, 2007

Love - Model, Assist, Watch and Leave

This morning my quiet time was in Corinthians. Very often I have to go back and read what love is because I am very adept at forgetting that love is not about ME! As I meditated on the verses of what love is....patient, kind, not self-seeking....and if I don't have it I am only a clanging symbol, I was convicted. How annoying is a clanging symbol? It is loud and serves no purpose. I'm ALWAYS convicted when I read these verses. I prayed and asked the Lord to help me to love others better; my family, my friends, my neighbors, the people of Costa Rica - everyone. I asked him to turn my eyes from myself and onto others. I prayed, "Please show me what your love looks like in my life."

The kids and I started the morning while I offered to let John sleep. At breakfast I found myself easily irritated with the kids for several different reasons - none of which I can actually remember right now. I had already had to discipline them a few times and it wasn't even 7:30 a.m. yet. Anyway, as I was speaking to them in a very irritated, but not quite yelling voice...I think barking might better describe it, I was suddenly convicted. "Jessica, you asked me to show you how to love others. Start by being patient with your children." Ouch...I took this conviction to heart and immediately looked at my babies and said, "Kids, I am so sorry. I was just reading in the Bible this morning about being loving and the first verse about love says that it is patient. I am not being patient right now and I am sorry. Will you please forgive me?" That's it! That is all I said.

I hadn't even paused from my sentence when Parker looked at me and said, "Mom, will you please forgive me for not cleaning my room like you asked me to?"

Then immediately Ally said, "Mom, will you forgive me for fighting with Parker?"

And then Jaxson said, "Mom, will you forgive me for climbing in Avery's crib?"

It was like three little birdies singing a beautiful song. Truly enchanting. One right after another.

I smiled and said, "Of course I do. I love you all so much. I forgive you and I hope you forgive me, too." They did - just like they always do. I modeled the example and then they followed after me.

During missionary training we learned about being the kind of missionary that model's Christ to others, assists others in a relationship with Him, watches them grow and then leaves them to stand on their own two feet. It is called: Model, Assist, Watch and Leave. I discovered today that this is also the exact proto-type for parenting. Model! Assist! Watch! Leave!

God showed me this morning to stay in His word and to follow Him. Model a life of love for my children, assist them in their journey, watch them and then they will leave to follow Him. I hope that my life will not be a clanging symbol, but one rooted in the foundation of true love. A love that has nothing to do with what I want or think I deserve, but ALL about how I respond.

"If I speak in the tongues of men and of angels, but have not love, I am only a resounding gong or a clanging cymbal. If I have the gift of prophecy and can fathom all mysteries and all knowledge, and if I have a faith that can move mountains, but have not love, I am nothing. If I give all I possess to the poor and surrender my body to the flames, but have not love, I gain nothing. Love is patient, love is kind. It does not envy, it does not boast, it is not proud. It is not rude, it is not self-seeking, it is not easily angered, it keeps no record of wrongs. Love does not delight in evil but rejoices with the truth. It always protects, always trusts, always hopes, always perseveres." 1 Corinthians 13:1-7

1 comment:

Marlene said...

Thanks, Jessica! What an awesome reminder and blessing this was. I will be praying for you as you have knee surgery AND as you model, assist, watch and leave!

Blessings to all of you,
Ms. Marlene

  ©Blog Design by Amy Bayliss.

Return to top