Saturday, April 19, 2008

Jessica's American Idol Opinion

If you see my post from Thursday, you will see all the comments that were generated. Very great, thought provoking comments. And I would still like to receive yours as well. So, here is what I think: these are my personal thoughts and opinions and they are not directed towards anyone at all. I just love Jesus very much and feel very strongly about His name. So, after much thought and prayer...here is what I think about the performance on American Idol.....

Our God is a jealous God (although Oprah doesn’t like that fact) and He desires for His Son’s name to be proclaimed throughout all the nations. He does not want any other false god to have glory or honor. Jesus is the way, the truth and the Life and we can’t find God any other way except through Him (John 14:6). That is a tough teaching – one that led Jesus to the cross. The world still grapples with this today and is offended by the very name of Jesus. Although the name Shepherd was “a” name of Jesus, His name was still Jesus. A man named Shepherd, a man named The Word of Life or a man named the Messiah does not save us. A man named Jesus saves us!

Jesus was named prophetically. Matthew 1:21 says, "But after he had considered this, an angel of the Lord appeared to him in a dream and said, 'Joseph son of David, do not be afraid to take Mary home as your wife, because what is conceived in her is from the Holy Spirit. She will give birth to a son, and you are to give him the name Jesus, because he will save his people from their sins.'

Obviously, the name of Christ is and was very important and I think to delete his name in song that is about His name is absurd. I will not judge their motives or their hearts. All I know is that in my heart, the true Creator God was not worshipped during that American Idol telecast because His desire is that ALL people would know Him. And to know Him is to know Jesus. Romans 10:9 “If you believe in your heart that Jesus is Lord and confess with your mouth that God raised Him from the dead you will be saved.” There is no other way to the Lord except through Jesus. This is why Christians are persecuted and labeled as narrow-minded and judgmental. This is why our Savior, our Shepherd died!!! No one liked His narrow-minded; I’m the only way to God, philosophies. We, as followers of Christ, have to adopt a “narrow-minded” Christian Worldview and not a “worldly, humanistic” world-view. And many times this means going against what everyone else feels is correct. That is how Jesus lived His life. That is why Jesus was slain.

The Bible has an answer for everything. And the answers go way beyond my feelings. I always want my worldview to line up with scripture says. The apostle Paul summed it up best when he said, “Join with others in following my example, brothers, and take note of those who live according to the pattern we gave you. For, as I have often told you before and now say again even with tears, many live as enemies of the cross of Christ. Their destiny is destruction, their god is their stomach, and their glory is in their shame. Their mind is on earthly things. But our citizenship is in heaven. And we eagerly await a Savior from there, the Lord Jesus Christ, who, by the power that enables him to bring everything under his control, will transform our lowly bodies so that they will be like his glorious body.”

So, I choose to dislike what American Idol did. It is Jesus who saved me. It is Jesus who redeemed me and it is Jesus whom I worship. And it is under the name of Jesus that every knee shall bow and every tongue will confess. And I’m glad that He is not just a Shepard, but He is a Savior and I don’t for one second want to hide His name. Nor do I want to support or join forces with American Idol who “pretends” to be worshipping the Creator God, while leaving out the almighty name that saves us.

Praise and Honor and Glory to Jesus Christ FOREVER and EVER!!!!

3 comments:

A Buzbee said...

Making friends or enemies? Hmmm....well, I think you know where I stand -- with you -- or more specifically -- with Jesus, the NAME above all NAMES!

"For whosoever will deny me before men, him will I also deny before my Father who is in heaven." Matthew 10:33

Praise God for the abundant grace that only HE gives to enable us to praise and worship Jesus alone!

(PS....I promise, I will send my formal response on this soon!)

Phamilyof6 said...

Amazing post. Scripture references and everything. You should be a missionary. Your boldness reminds me of Paul. Now if we could only say all of these things so eloquently in Spanish. Some day.
John (Your Partner in the Journey)

Stephen Jones said...

I read John's post before I read yours, and already commented on his. :) Great post, Jessica. I couldn't agree with you more. The name of Jesus is so precious to us, and removing His name should concern us.

It's interesting that while TV gets filthier and pushes the envelope in sex, violence, and language, the name of Jesus gets censored out. This only confirms how much the world hates our Lord (John 15:23).

Thank you for loving Christ enough to take His message to the ends of the earth, so that all people may know Him!

  ©Blog Design by Amy Bayliss.

Return to top