Tuesday, May 6, 2008

It Was a Shot... In the Dark

John wrote:

Thank you to those who prayed for me yesterday, when I gave a shot at "storying" the Bible at the House of Restoration, instead of the normal preaching. Unfortunately, at times it felt like a shot in the dark. I have a new found respect for Jessica and how she leads a women's study at the House for women each week, because preaching a sermon is entirely different than leading an interactive study. Primarily because it is super hard to understand people when they talk really fast, and I have the Spanish vocabulary of a 5th grader, o.k. 2nd grader.

So yesterday, after telling the Bible story, I asked several discussion type questions. But let's just say, at times there wasn't much of a discussion. Several times, I asked the question, the gentleman answered, and when he finished, everyone looked back to me to comment on his comment. All he got back from me was a "deer in the headlights" face and an "anyone else?". Or an "Amen. Anyone else?" Humbling and scary to think in just 3 short months, Bible studies will be one of my primary functions in life.

Bur overall, the guys know me and they have seen my heart/Spanish over the past 4 months. And it doesn't hurt when I start off by saying, "In the states, normally I start off my talks with a joke. But here it's not necessary...because my Spanish is the joke." Tends to take the pressure off.

No comments:

  ©Blog Design by Amy Bayliss.

Return to top