Sunday, May 16, 2010

Cookies, Cookies and Money

Be on the lookout one day this week for new pictures. I have been saving them up and will have quite a few.

Yesterday John was not feeling well so as he was resting in the morning, the kids and I made about 10 dozen, at least, chocolate chip cookies. We packaged them up, made signs, prayed over our endeavor and off they went around the neighborhood to sell them. They only took about 15 at a time and I explained to them "supply and demand." We only made a few dozen cookies the first batch, but when the kids kept returning home every 20 minutes or so with an empty plate of cookies, we decided to whip up some more. We even had girls coming to our door to by them. The kids made sure to hand out free samples so that people could taste how delicious they were before they bought them. This is a popular thing here in Peru and I can't tell you how well it works. So many times I have purchased a product I didn't need or want just based on how good the free sample tasted. I digress! We sold every single last cookie as fast I could possibly bake them. At the end of the joint venture, we hade made a grand total of $26. I really think we need to raise the price next time. The kids split the proifts 3 ways and the person who was in charge (the boss), usually got a dollar more than the other kids because that is how it is in real life. It was such a great experience and an incredible lesson in business and economics. I feel like they learned some valuable lessons yesterday about team work, getting along with your fellow workers, marketing your product, selling your product and cost revenue. We are going to try to do this more often since the neighbors were so in love with our chocolate chips cookies. I might add that chocolate chip cookies are not really common around here. The chips costs a lot of money and aren't that easy to find. Of course, mine were brought in by a mission team. I think if we wanted to start of a business of just selling homemade chocolate chip cookies, that we could do quite well here. Some of my neighbors have asked for my special recipe, but I will never give away my secrets. mwwwaaaahhaaaaaaahaaaaaaa!!1

We are off to love on the people in Gosen where John is trying to plant a new, small house church. Please pray that we are an effective witness. I wish I had some cookies to take them.

I almost forgot to tell you that this morning John took the kids to the local mercado so that they could by a few little things with their well earned money.

post signature

1 comment:

The McClain's said...

That is a fantastic idea and a wonderful way to make it real! We should do that- it is the same here and it would be a great thing for my kids, too! Thanks for sharing!!! :)

  ©Blog Design by Amy Bayliss.

Return to top