Wednesday, March 17, 2010

I'm Peruvian NOW!!!

If you live somewhere long enough, eventually you are going to assimilate (SAT word) into the culture whether you like it or not. Well, I have assimilated in many areas after living overseas for almost 3 years.

Here are just a few ways that I have become Peruvian/Latin:

I drink, and prefer, my "water" (not soda though) without ice and at room temperature.

BEEP BEEP! My horn has become as important as the brake pedal! I probably average 10-15 honks per car ride.

I don't leave messages on voice mails anymore. Why be the only person who does it?

I wear Jeans when it is hot outside.
My baby doesn't go anywhere without a blanket so that he can have is body and head covered even if it is 85 degrees outside.
I eat rice at least twice a day (when I'm not trying to lose weight).

I stay up really late and sleep in (when the kids weren't and aren't in school).

Instead of eating at 7, 12, and 5 p.m., my eating schedule has become 9 p.m., 2 and 7 p.m. or later.

If I drink coffee, I prefer it with hot milk and definitely not a powdered cream.

We have at least 2 bags of fresh bread in our home at all times.

Our family eats at Menus (the cheapest place you can eat which averages $2-$3 a plate for an appetizer, meal, drink and desert) at least once a week instead of a franchised restaurant.

Instead of shaking hands, I greet everyone with a kiss on the cheek and a light hug.

And I greet EVERYONE in the room this way.

I don't wear much makeup anymore. Maybe this is laziness instead of cultural assimilation! :)

90% of all of our meals are prepared from scratch and we don't each too much processed foods.

And....we have an empleada that cleans our house 2 times a week. She does the laundry too. Okay, now I'm just bragging. :)

My life is rather laid back, very flexible and subject to change at a moments notice (typical Peruvian).

I have become more "non" commital.
I use to be a "confrontational" persona and didn't hesitate to say "no." Now I find myself saying yes even when I don't want to and I avoid confrontation at all costs.
I dream in Spanish and am constantly translating songs into Spanish in my mind.
Our house has gas stoves, gas dryers and a gas heater.
We have no air conditioning and the windows are open most of the time.
All the doors are locked and unlocked from the inside with a key.
What's a dishwasher?
I don't have to pump gas anymore because it's all full service.
WOW!! Boy have I changed and my life, too! And that's not EVEN touching on the spiritual realm. I could do a post about that later if you are interested.

7 comments:

Jessica K. said...

Jess, this post cracked me up, very funny! I can see myself in many of those descriptions. And I HATE having to kiss every single person in the room when I arrive at a gathering!
You'll also know you're a true Peruvian when all of your sentences end with "ya?"

Lots of love.

Phamilyof6 said...

Jess, "Ya" is like my FAVORITE word now. I saw it frequently, but I'm not quite there yet with ending all of my sentences with it. :) I thought you might enjoy this post. Let me know if you think of anything else.

The Byrd's Nest said...

I loved this post Jessica....it is a process isn't it? I can relate to some of them already but certainly not all of them...I think the last thing I will have to let go of is "a schedule". The girls and I are SO routine! lol
P.S. But I'm a Texas girl and have always loved hugging and kissing everyone:)

mary joe said...

I love this one. I just read it to Mac and we enjoyed remembering about some of these things when we were visiting John and Jenny. I never got use to the warm water to drink. I like ice. Keep writing. Mary Joe McLamb

Layton Family Joy said...

ok, you had me until the maid doing laundry part. YOU WERE BRAGGING!! =) But oh how you deserve it!!

HUGS - cause I like 'em too!!

Amy said...

I love this post, too....and I have no idea what cultural change is...except that which happens when you cross the Mason Dixon line into the "north" (truly, this is tough for a born and bred southern gal). It all sounds so "exotic" for someone who has never left the States, and while I will confess that I cannot imagine living in a city the size of Lima, I am somewhat envious (in a very positive way) of the opportunities that you and your family have had to assimilate:-) into many cultures. I know it has been so very hard at times, but look at all of the wonder of it!!!

Ansbaughmom said...

Thanks Jess for letting us get a glimpse into your life!! I am so thankful you share this with us!! Hope Miles is feeling better-love ya!!

  ©Blog Design by Amy Bayliss.

Return to top