Monday, October 29, 2007

Bad Spanish = God WILL use it

Sometimes it feels that all that matters is memorizing verbs and taking tests. But then God reminds me that Spanish is about Him. Today, at therapy, I could tell my therapist was not her cheerful self. I mentioned that she seemed very serious today. Our conversations are usually filled with giggles and laughter. She expressed that she was just thinking and had a lot on her mind. I told her that I am her friend and she can talk with me. She came closer and told me she had a biopsy done on Saturday and was expecting a call from the doctor because he thinks she may have something seriously wrong.

At first, I just apologized, but then God tapped me gently and reminded me to speak of His love to her. In my best Spanish ever, yeh right, I shared with her this: "God loves you very much. He has great plans for your life and your life is in His hands." Before I even finished, she was crying. She leaned forward and embraced me in a long, tender hug. Her voice expressed thankfulness for the reminder that God cares for her and her situation.

How many people just need to be reminded that God has not forsaken them and that He has something special in store for their lives, even in times of hardships? Usually, I brush them off with an "I'm sorry" or "I'll pray for you," but I think it is in these situations that God can use ALL of us to point people to Him.

Even though I daily use the wrong words, sound exceptionally "gringo" and confuse my Spanish grammar, and I'm seriously mediocre with the "rules"; what is most important is that I am available and can communicate enough to Speak of what really matters - Him!! And He will make sure that His purposes are understood. :)

I share all this because it is a HUGE comfort to realize it's not about me or my broken Spanish. :) I also want to encourage you that God can use you, too, right where you are? Just pray for an opportunity and seize it when it comes. And trust me, it will come and God WILL use you.

P.S. If you would please pray for my friend, Rosa, that would mean a lot to me. Please pray that God will draw her to Him. Please pray my mouth would freely speak about Jesus to her. Please pray that she will be healthy.

No comments:

  ©Blog Design by Amy Bayliss.

Return to top