Tuesday, October 9, 2007

Spanish on the Phone - Not sooo great!!

I had my first phone conversation in Spanish tonight.

Okay, let me rephrase that...I attempted to have my first phone conversation in Spanish tonight. I spent most of the time laughing because I really can't speak well yet. I was talking to my new, and very patient national friend, Lucrecia. She sounded really happy that I called and was very patient with my continual, "Disculpe. Un momento and perdon?" Not one sentence came from my mouth that she didn't have to correct. Then,I kept having to look up words in the dictionary WHILE she was waiting for me to figure out what she said or while I figured out what I was going to say next. Yes, that means there was silence on the other end....and laughter, of course. But it must not have been too terrible because she DID invite me and the kids over to go swimming in her pool. She said we'll set the date on Monday when I see her again. Okay, she might not have said that, but that is what I'm hoping! :) Piscina is pool, right? And Lunes is Monday? :)

During training with the IMB, they mentioned we would find a person of peace - someone who is very friendly, warm, helpful, inviting and wants to help us in all sorts of ways. A person who opens up doors with language learning and ministry. I think Lucrecia definitely might be my person of peace for language learning. I can't imagine why she would want to hang out or talk with me since it's ridiculously broken Spanish and time consuming to talk (not to mention painful) but nonetheless (thanks Lord), she persists! And so shall I!

No comments:

  ©Blog Design by Amy Bayliss.

Return to top