Monday, August 18, 2008

Our first few days!

When we came to Lima 2 years ago, I thought it was dirty, over-crowded, gloomy and not a very great place. After living in Costa Rica for a year and having had a HUGE change of perspective from my American way of living, I have only one thing to say:
I LOVE LIMA!!!!

I love this city. I love the culture, the ambiance, the busyness, the life, the people. EVERYTHING! I love everything about it. Costa Rica was just a stepping stone to prepare me for "real" city life and I must say I am hooked. I am so thankful for that opportunity to adjust to Latin America because now I can fully enjoy Lima, Peru! I can't wait to start our new life here.

We have been looking at apartments in different areas and found an area about 5-7 blocks from the beach called Miraflores. It has a feel of downtown Manhattan or Chicago with lots of high rise apartments, very trendy/artsy stores, a beautiful park and a very urban "greenwich village meets Soho meets Winter Park" feeling. It is incredible. We are hoping to live in this area as we have found a few apartments on the 9th or 10th floors within our price and size range, not to mention a gorgeous view. And.....there is EVEN a Gold's Gym that I can easily run to in the morning, a GIGANTIC beautifully manicured park for the kids to play nearby, and a bike path along the beach for the kids to ride bikes (3 things I have been praying for). We are going to scope out the area some more today to see what the kids think of it and see if we can find any apartments that catch our eye. I am so excited about living there I can't see straight. I'll take some pictures so you can get the feel of it.

Things we've done so far:
Church in a movie theatre from a church plant in Florida. Different, but interesting!
A welcome party with at least 50 other missionaries that serve in Lima.
Supper at Chili's.
Getting our Peruvian Identification and all the fun paperwork that goes with that.
An orientation on the processes of Lima and how are mission does things.
Apartment Hunting.
Trying to get the kids feeling a little more settled and grounded.

I am so happy to be here I can't see straight. It might be tough pulling me back to Florida. And it will be even better when we start ministry and homeschooling.

4 comments:

The Byrd's Nest said...

Oh that is wonderful news. God is good and gracious.

Texas Aggie in Florida said...

Oh Jess...I'm so happy for you!!!! That's wonderful! I hope you get a place with a really really HUGE bathtub!!!!

Jonatha said...

That is simply awesome! What an exciting time for your family! I wish we could come visit your new city! Your change of perspective about your new city is an illustration of God's perfect timing.

Amy said...

WOW! Sounds like apartment hunting is going fabulous! I would have never guessed you would have found such an ideal area! Keep us posted. So happy that you are all enjoying it so:-)
Love you!

  ©Blog Design by Amy Bayliss.

Return to top