Sunday, September 9, 2007

The Good and the Bad

John wrote:

Hopefully we have done a good job sharing about the good things about life here in Costa Rica. There are so many blessings that we have by just being here. The great weather in the morning, until the rain comes in the afternoon. Opportunity to learn Spanish at an amazing institute that has been around for 50+ years. The great 650 sqft house that we live in – which we have come to learn is the perfect size for us. We have, for the most part, been protected from the culture shock that we were bracing for. Wonderful neighbors and other missionary friends. The list goes on and on. That is why you have not heard much from me until now. Other than the amusing day to day activity, there hasn’t been much to say that Jessica doesn’t cover in her postings. We do, after all, spend 24/7 together and pretty much experience everything together.

But as Jessica wrote about in her previous posting, her cousin Brian is getting married. We talked to her aunt on Thursday and she told us that he was going to propose to Miranda (his bride to be) on Friday night at their weekly Xi Alpha Christian Fellowship meeting at U.F. in Gainesville. They were schedule to stand before the members and talk about their summer mission trip to Africa. Both families were going to be there to “watch them both talk about Africa”, but were really coming to witness the proposal. When I heard that I was really sad, because if we were still in Florida, our hometown is only 2 hours from Gainesville and we could have been there to share in their special night.

Then to top it off we will not be able to attend his wedding next June, since we will still be here in Costa Rica, and are not allowed to leave the country. Brian is the closest thing I have ever had to having a brother. I am the youngest of 5 kids. There’s me, 8 years and then my four older sisters. So the bond that Brian and I have developed over the last ten years, since Jessica and I have been married, has blessed me more than he or even Jessica knows. Going to concerts together, playing baseball on Sundays and just sharing life together. Also, I like to believe that I can take the credit for the fact that he is a fellow Florida Gator. When I found out he was considering going to FSU, I took him up to UF for one weekend during his senior year in high school and converted him to Gator Nation. I even remember the day the I stood in Brian’s kitchen and he told me that everything that he looked for in a wife and helpmate could be found in Miranda, and more.

Up until now, I can say that through this whole process of selling our stuff, selling our home, leaving my career, friends, family, culture, language, comforts, (and to be totally honest) the earning potential I had, and transitioning my entire family - I have not really been very sad. Jessica can attest to the fact that I have, for the most part, seemed rather un-phased by culture shock, emotion or any separation anxiety. But for the first time, I am feeling the effects of the cost of the call to overseas missions. Houses, furniture, toys, cars, jobs, careers, dreams, and yes, even friends can be replaced. But one thing that I realized cannot be replaced in life is event experiences. When Brian’s wedding day comes and goes, like last Friday night when he got down on one knee and asked the girl of his dreams to spend the rest of her life with him, I will never be able have that day back. No amount of money will rewind the clock. And for me, that is the hardest part of this journey (so far).

1 comment:

Kathryn Evans said...

We gotta figure out how to do a live podcast or something like that for you guys. Seems like some techie person could figure that out:) It is crazy to think of Brian getting married. Wow, how he has grown since we were all together hangin' out in Precinct 55. We missed a chance to get to meet Miranda this weekend. Can't wait until we do.

  ©Blog Design by Amy Bayliss.

Return to top