Wednesday, September 26, 2007

To Live is Christ

"If I am to go on living in the body, this will mean fruitful labor for me. Yet what shall I choose? I do not know! I am torn between the two. I desire to depart and be with Christ, which is better by far; but it is more necessary for you that I remain in the body. Convinced of this, I know that I will remain with all of you and for your progress and joy in the faith, so that through my being with you again your joy in Christ Jesus will overflow on account of me." Phillipians 1: 22-26

These word from Paul struck me really hard yesterday. As we are so caught up in school, kids and getting through each day, God pulled the brakes on me once again. Please don't interpret this verse that I quoted as a suggestion that I would LOVE to die. It is a suggestion, however, that to live is about Christ. And more specifically, the purpose of my life should be so that others will have JOY in Christ because they were around me (us). At school, I find myself all about the books and about learning and doing well. Is that bringing anyone closer to Jesus and spreading joy in Him. Probably not! Not that there is anything wrong with wanting to do well and glorify God in my studies. But I think Paul is saying that the first focus of life is Jesus and the second to help others progress in their faith and in their Joy of Christ. Taking a moment to pray for someone hurting or asking someone about their day or simply giving a hug a hug is a good start for me! Simple things! And to speak of Him more often and more frequently. I need to live like I might not have tomorrow. Live's should be changed today. I'm not going to wait until I have language to start effecting live's around me. Another thing that struck me was that Paul was writing to fellow believers. He had a 2-fold ministry. 1., to those who were unbelievers and 2., to strengthen and bring Joy in Christ to fellow believers. This really spoke to my heart. I, too, have a 2-fold purpose. My heart's desire is that living would be about OTHERS - believers and non-believers alike.!

Boy, I have such a LOOOOONNNNNNGGGG way to go. And i'm in need of some serious help. But I'm glad that God is in the business of changing people and I don't have to do this myself.

Lord, I pray that we may have such a passion and ferver for you that to live would truly be about Christ! I pray that our joy may overflow and that it would be such a sweet, sweet fragrance to others that they too would follow hard after you.

No comments:

  ©Blog Design by Amy Bayliss.

Return to top